|This cord has definitely seen better days.|
Three of the best sources I've found for Singer Featherweights are:
- Nova Montgomery: Nova's Featherweights & Quilting
- April Henry: April 1930's Featherweights
- Graham Forsdyke: Singer Featherweights Graham is transferring ownership of this site to April Henry.
The power cord is easily replaceable and I found the part online for a reasonable price. Turns out that there were a couple other parts on this machine that needed fixing or replacing. The thread bar was missing (Singer part #PFW-45782) from my machine, and the bobbin plate brackets and screws were gone as well. Doesn't seem like much, but there appeared to be some damage to the underside of the bobbin plate (see blue arrows in pic below). Seriously, how did a hole get punched in there?? Since it is critical to hold that finger in-between those brackets, I thought it was best to replace the whole bobbin plate instead of just the brackets. I found everything I needed and/or wanted online either sold new or harvested from a prior machine. Singer Parts Diagram.
|Damaged underside of bobbin plate.|
Thread mess when that finger (pink arrow) does not stay in the 12 o'clock position.
The parts that required replacing on this machine:
- the power cord
- thread bar
- bobbin plate
- light bulb - from incandescent which burns very hot, to a LED light. Much better!
- straight side plate with a fancy scroll one. Just for aesthetics. ☺
- felt drip pad inside the bottom pan
- new rubber cushion feet for both the machine and foot pedal.
- clear regular kerosene for cleaning the inside
- Tri-Flow lubricant oil for the moving parts
- Nova's lubricant for the gears and motor grease tubes.
- Brasso metal polish on plates and parts.
- Zymol cleaner wax on the outside of the machine.
|Gears behind side plate - before & after.|
|Gears under top plate - before & after.|
|Gears on the bottom - before & after.|
|Metal bottom before & after cleaning.|
She wasn't too bad of shape, just old, dirty and in need of cleaning up, but she sure looks pretty now.
|Replaced straight plate with scroll one.|