First the Good News... It's finished! Took me the whole year, and needed over 2 million stitches. I had the design and main silk for a few years and made it a resolution to complete this project in 2016.
|My finished tapestry of gold metallic thread on dark green silk.|
I modified a quilt label from embroidery library and happily stitched the label for the back.
Now the Not-So-Good News... I now know how much I spent on it.
Do you know the cost of your projects? I recently went through the records I had for this project, and totaled up the cost. Time invested is priceless, but the material costs really add up too. I knew it would be pricey because of the silk and metallic thread. I must admit, the total was more than I thought, probably because I purchased some things before and had them on hand, so I didn't think about their prior cost. I also spent a little extra on purchasing gold silk samples in search of the perfect shade of gold border to match this project.
Here are my costs (rounded to nearest whole dollar). I tried to shop sales and uses coupons/codes where I could:
- Anita Goodesign Golden Tapestry Embroidery Designs - $74
- Main Fabric - Dark Green Silk Dupioni - 3 yards - $57
- Border Fabric - Soft Gold Dupioni Silk - 1 yard - $35
- Backing Fabric - Forest Green Cotton - 3.5 yards - $18
- Bobbin Thread - Brother 5-pack of 1200 yard spools - $38
- Embroidery Thread - 6 spools of Pacesetter Deep Green 1100 yard spool - $37
- Metallic Embroidery Thread - 9 spools of Floriani 880 yard cone - $126
- Fabric Interfacing - Armo Weft fusible - 20" x 10 yards - $42
- Batting for quilt top and sandwich - Pellon Nature's Choice Cotton - 90" x 2 yards - $11
- Stabilizer - Floriani No-Show Mesh - 5 rolls of 12" x 10 yards (double layer in hoop) - $70
- Quilting Top Thread - Sulky King Size Clear polyester - $7
- Quilting Bottom Thread - Gutterman 500 M Dark Green SewAll -$5
TOTAL MATERIALS COST: $520 Yikes!
- Machine Needles - Schmetz 75/11 Embroidery - $15
- Gold Border Fabric Swatches - $27
My total material costs: $562
If you are looking to make this project and wonder what exactly I bought and from where, I have a PDF copy of my actual costs and resources here.
I don't usually track expenses for a particular project, but this one was such an undertaking, that I happen to save the receipts. Not sure I will do this again - I don't think I want to know. 😉 But this does show that hand-made quilts and projects like this are expensive to start - not including the time invested to create your masterpiece.
I totally love my Golden Tapestry and proudly hang it in our living room. I hope it will be passed down for generations to come.