I wanted to make a quick gift for my mom's 83rd bday this weekend, but I had to take care of some over-due tasks first. I needed to get my Sweet 16 back up and running. I had sent off some of it's computer guts to HandiQuilter before the holidays to get a (free) upgrade to support the TruStitch Stitch Regulator. I've received the parts back, and they been waiting patiently for me to get to it.
So here's how my Friday Night Sew-In started....
|Sweet 16 C-Pod unit. Just have to remember where each plug went.|
Once that was done, then I got the TruStitch set up.
|TruStitch by HandiQuilter for stitch regulation.|
Practiced some FMQ on a few test sandwiches. Now that I don't have to worry about stitch length, I can focus on my quilting skills. :-) I need lots of practice!
There are a few options of how to work with the regulator. I think I prefer to have the little controller (the white hockey-puck looking thing) under the quilt, with my right hand over it. When the controller is under a quilt, it flashes a bright light so that you can see where it is under the fabric.
|You can see the bright light that flashes under the quilt when using the TruStitch.|
I decided to make a couple of placemats with coordinating cloth napkins for my mom, to go along with the lunch I'll be bringing her.
|Fabric for napkins, placemat fronts & backing. Ready to stitch.|
- I cut the placemat fabrics and batting at 13" x 16". The napkins were cut square at 16" x 16".
- I used a temporary fabric spray to adhere the batting to the wrong-side of the front placemat fabric.
- Pinned the front and back fabrics, right-sides together and stitched it pillow-case style with 1/4" seam, leaving an opening at the bottom.
- Turned it right-side out through the opening, hand-stitched that opening closed, and top stitched 1/4" the around the edges of the placemat.
- I turned the edges on the napkins 1/4" twice, and stitched them down.
- I added a free-motion quilting stipple stitch to the placemats and was done.
I stitched a little tie to wrap it all up.
|The flower print is on the back of the placemats.|
That was quick and easy. Just a little something something to go with her lunch. ☺
Here is a photo of my mom & I, copied from my About Me page.
|Happy Bday Mom! She'll be 83 on Monday.|
I'm sharing this at Pigtales and Quilts' Sharing Saturday.